I am currently re-tracing some very old steps of mine through Stephen Covey's book, The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People. I read it first in 1996.
What a book!
Sometimes it can take me a day just to read and absorb the meaning I can find in a single page. The book must have taken him many years to have thought through his concepts to such a degree.
I have been re-reading it since November, and I am still only now getting on to Habit 4. Incredible.
But even more incredible is the benefit that you can derive from completing the recommended tasks that are to be found in the book.
In particular, I found the work involved in developing a personal mission statement to be highly rewarding.
Very difficult at first, mind you. But when you maintain your focus on really defining your roles, your priorities and your values - you can get to the very core of what drives you - and you find out what is most important to you. I think that this is work that everyone should do. It is just so much more effective to live your life knowing who you are - and what you want to do in life.
My father would often say 'Man, know thyself', quoting the Oracle of Delphi. But until I had done this exercise, I did not really 'know' - not in any meaningful way. I had a sense of things - but now I have a real handle on who I am. I hadnt really thought about it. Until now......
I you haven't read it, be sure to pick up a copy - it contains what it says in the books strapline....'powerful lessons in personal change'.
Wednesday, January 9, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment